Getting started is always the hardest part. But our barre classes—and the diverse group of students who take them—are not nearly as intimidating as you might think. Not only will we make you feel like a prima ballerina upon your first visit, we’ve prepared some additional tips to help you get the most out of the experience.
- Dress comfortably in any brand and style of workout apparel. Because yoga pants are in fashion until the end of time, this part is pretty easy. Just avoid skimpy clothing and anything that’s not PG-rated.
- Eat a light snack in the two hours before class to keep your body fueled. Bring along a water bottle so you can stay hydrated throughout the class. If you forget, we have a canteen of citrus water and nutrition bars to grab at your convenience.
- Plan to wear grip socks (socks with sticky dots or patterns on the bottom). The grips are known to provide better traction on the studio’s carpet while performing planks, squats, and lunges. Lucky for you, you’ll receive a 50% discount on a pair of grip socks at the time of your first visit or you can borrow a pair.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes early. You don’t have to do this all the time, but make your best effort on the first round. Unless you sign-up online and register your profile, you’ll need to fill out a page of basic paperwork. Then, you’ll get a brief tour of the studio, meet your class instructor, pick out equipment, and snag a spot at the barre.
- Don’t expect to do everything perfectly the first time! Barre technique is so specific. It will take a few more classes for your muscles to adapt to the precise movement, unique range of motion, and balletic posture. But alas, what doesn’t challenge you doesn’t change you.